Friday, November 12, 2010

my friendly furry audience

Feeding this morning was very funny. While feeding the mares in the very back, a huge buck ran across the field. He has been around for awhile and I always like catching a look at him, very majestic. This morning he stopped and watched me for a couple of minutes. Just turned that regal head with its big rack and stared at me. Maybe they have become accustomed to the sound of the Gator or they clean up the grain behind the horses, I don't know but he wasn't particularly concerned, just watching. Two minutes later , my friendly local fox hurried across the same field within a stone's throw from me. He glanced up, as though to say, "Hey, What's up, nice morning" and kept right on going. Then he stopped, saw the buck, looked back at me and shrugged, then kept trotting by. His tail is very skimpy. I worry about him, hope he doesn't have parvo or something. I see him and another with a full tail, who I assume is his mate ( or vice versa- don't really know). Then I had a feeling somebody was watching me , turned around and saw a huge black dog or coyote by the stream staring at me. He was kinda spooky. I took a step and he fled. From the side I am pretty sure it was a big, black German Shepherd. There is a deer carcass in the woods nearby and I wonder if he is a wild dog. The deer carcass is slowly being devoured. Foxes I am happy to feed, big wild dogs are a little scarier. Life is wonderfully entertaining out in the woods! And I think I am the main act- they wait for me to appear every morning!

1 comment:

  1. hey!! sorry i haven't checked this in awhile. this morning sounds hysterical! quite a social life you have in the morning.

    love you mom <3

    ReplyDelete