Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hunt Bowl drag v. fox

Every year when we have the Hunt bowl the last event of the day is a group drag ( no, we do not all get into dresses!) , in order to judge the best hound hunting. We simulate a hunt and the combined three couple from each invited hunt are put together and the "pack" follows a drag, which has been laid moments before by one of our whips. The judge is supposed to get a lead on the hounds that keep their noses down, speak on the line and are leading the pack.  We are the host hunt, so I am usually the only one who is really whipping. I have a great view from a holloa-away of the whole affair.  Well, every year I hold my breath for three reasons: originally because the fox scent stunk so bad it made your eyes tear up,  secondly because we can easily jump a live fox and then all bets are off, and lastly because you have 7 huntsman  with staff and select members from each club all on  fed-up horses, galloping on land they don't know that has lots of groundhog holes. Oh, I forgot to mention the deer everywhere.  This drag started very slowly, the drag scent was either too hot ( literally, meaning too much hot water added) or not strong enough. Anyway they couldn't get it and so no one opened( started speaking) on the line. I knew our huntsman was probably dying inside but he kept on, the hounds silently following the line. I turned back to the river to check on late hounds when I suddenly heard the whole pack in full cry coming at me. I said, "Oh s#$%, they've jumped a live fox". This has happened occasionally and then they are off and we are chasing hounds all over. A combined pack hunts erratically , all strung out and then some always get lost and the huntsman all start blowing. The hounds get confused and it is a mess. So, I was not thrilled, but turned around and sure enough here they come. I stopped them at the river and urged them back to huntsman. This real fox must have slipped by me unseen because they picked up again near kennels and took off again. They were flying back the way we had come, it seemed perhaps they were running tail on the drag line. I actually don't know,  but as it was the end of the day, we stopped them again. We hoped the judge has seen some hound work , even if it was in reverse and /or on the real line! One huntsman had a deer apparently flee the woods and try to go under his horse! Well the deer broke its neck, twitching a death throe under the horse, in front of the spectators. I heard that huntsman and horse were OK. All hounds eventually came in and no one stepped in a groundhog hole.
Much liquor later and after breakfast ( at 5PM) I believe Potomac won. Our huntsman and I breathed a sigh of relief , we both find this day difficult,  but the other clubs love getting together and all visiting each other . It was a good day, with no serious mishap. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment