Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Maryland racing's future still up in the air.....

The meeting yesterday at Laurel was amazing. The Pennsylvania slots group Penn-National Gaming was sent packing, which was accompanied by thunderous applause by the Md. racing "family" that descended on the Racing Commission's meeting. This means Magna ( Frank Stronach's company ) still owns 100% of the MD tracks, which is a mixed blessing. No Penn. gaming conflict of interest is a good thing, but Magna could conceivably close the tracks itself, if they do not come up with a plan for 2011 race dates in 30 days. It is a mess- the shell game described by the Racing Commission yesterday sounded like a bad script about "good fellas" . Too many subsidiary  companies to keep track of and too many players with personal grievances and/or personal greed at heart. I hope the major players remember that there are a lot of people that love racing and depend on it and they can find a way to smoothly transition into 2011 race dates. That this went down just before the Fasig-Tipton sale this weekend sucks, it will be the talk of the sale for sure.  The little guy just continues to feed, muck, walk and groom  and wonders if it will ever be a good day again. This includes me- I am sorry and glad that I didn't breed this year. This morning is warm , but lots of rain is coming so the babies will come in tonight and probably blankets on the mares. I put my Christmas lights up yesterday, the tree is decorated and I am getting in the mood. Unfortunately my mom is in the hospital, which is also a mixed thing- good care but worrisome anyway. Think I will take a road trip after sale, up North to see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment