Friday, September 3, 2010

Post Hurricane Earl

Earl brought nothing, no rain, no wind, not even a great sunrise- so I hope the surfers on the East Coast caught some great waves, because otherwise it was a big bust. I am afraid that all this media attention on "exciting" wether is going to inure us all about real disasters. We will stop believing the hype and warnings and then when "the real one "comes we will have stopped listening. I feel bad for all those people who had to leave vacations on Outer Banks. Years ago, those were the best walks on the beach when the wind was whipping and the waves were huge. You knew not to go with just common sense, but it was exhilarating to watch Nature's power. Now they want you to run and hide. Boring. On another subject I can't find my glasses. I think the dog ate them again, it is so maddening. I watched "Marley and Me" the other night and our Leo is a dead ringer for Marley, maybe not quite so bad , but then again , my glasses are gone! The old pair are missing both ear cushion pieces and poke me in the eye every time I put them on- aaargh.
The trees are starting to change, the first yellow leaves look like little yellow post-its all over the green . Funny how are description of things evolves. It is a welcome cooler morning and I am about to go work yearlings. Only a month until the sale,  I hope they sell. The market is still depressed. I go back and forth about selling weanlings in December, I think that market is even worse than the yearling market. My filly is shipping back from Fl this weekend I hope. Good timing because my other mare has been trying to founder I think.  I am afraid I upped her grain too much and then the grass had a spurt of unusual August fresh growth and wham- she is walking on eggshells. Hope I caught it soon enough. She is off grain, in stall, in deep sawdust and seems OK- fingers crossed. Still debating Field Hunter Championship. I would love to do it, just have to watch finances .

No comments:

Post a Comment