Friday, September 17, 2010

Can I start today over?

Weaning babies sucks. I have had both colts go over the fence, busting rails on the way down on both sides, leaving their field and going into the mares' field! One cut, hopefully not too bad,  but upset mares and babies all around. I put the babysitters in  and everything was OK until I was about to put the gator away and have breakfast, then all hell breaks loose. Those two colts can jump now, three rail fence from a standstill. Back to square one with two and the one that was weaned days ago also sailed over the fence, found mom, who wasn't exactly thrilled to see him. She had been studiously ignoring the shenanigans, hoping he wouldn't spot her. After I retrieved all the hot, sweaty, upset moms and babies and repaired the fence rails, I decided to put already weaned mares and friends in the very back field. This means the stupid colts will have to jump six fences! If they are successful I will sell them as jumpers! Fingers crossed, everyone stays put for the rest of the day (and week). So I will try again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment