Thursday, September 23, 2010

Summer's end

Summer is going out with a heat wave. 90 yesterday and again today, maybe higher.  As I sit and watch dawn( at 6:40 am nowadays) the cicadas are as loud as ever, the humidity is rising off the ground like warm air from subway grillwork and the mist is rolling across the fields. One weanling keeps whinnying in the pasture. I can't quite see them , but hope it is on the right side of the fence! We had a tremendous lightning storm last night. I had just picked up daughter and her charming fiance from airport and was telling them what a lovely full moon there was tonight. We walk outside and the heat lightning is rumbling and strikes are snapping down in the distance- no moon. This is the California fiance who visited Maryland for the first time last winter and whose trip heralded 48 inches of snow! I am looking at him out of the corner of my eye as we head to car , thinking " I hope he is not some kind of lightning rod". He is exclaiming that they never have lightning like this in LA and I am hoping my horses don't die tonight from lightning strikes! It was spectacular and the rain chased us all the way home. Sarah and I are going to be girly and go look at wedding dresses and wedding books and maybe even get a pedicure.  Love my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment