Wednesday, January 26, 2011

That was a short reprieve- winter is back

I looked like Farmer Smith yesterday as I hustled to get pasture seed down on my front fields. When I heard that snow was forecast again, I looked at the rutted, bare front fields and pictured my son's wedding in May beside the same field and thought - get some seed down NOW. I believe the snow helps pull seed down into bare ground and it gets an early start. Called Southern States but they were not getting seed in 'til end of Feb. Called my hay man and he had one 50lb bag.  I grabbed it and started walking the fields with my little hand spinner. This morning the fields are white and I am glad I tracked the seed down. Sam and Steph wanted the ceremony in front of hyacinths and azaleas near front field. Fingers crossed that it will fill in and be beautiful.  Weatherman says 2-4 '' of snow so now I debate bringing up all the horses from back fields. The 'Gator gets dicey in 3 or 4", it can't get up the hills. Guess we are not hunting either!!

No comments:

Post a Comment