Sunday, January 2, 2011

Goodbye Mom

Goodbye Mom. I love you.  I know Ian and Dad have been waiting patiently all these years for you to be free from "the bonds of earth". I know you have wanted to be with them again too. I can only wonder and imagine with great awe what it is like "to touch the face of God". Tonight , after hearing the news of your passing, I went out to stand in the pre-dawn night and looked up. Like a child I was half hoping to see a new star but what I felt was the softest of night breezes, warm and caressing, like a mother's touch. Go with God, go with your son and husband. I had a great week of visiting before Christmas  and enjoyed our heartfelt conversations about many things. We had a good time and I am so grateful for those days.  You talked of your own parents, of  how close you were to your dad, Grandpa Goodall and the years when Nana Goodall, your mom lived with you. You spoke with pride about caring for her, being a good daughter. It has come full circle. Your daughters, Margaret, Barbara and Patti held your hand, cooled your brow,  and laughed  and cried with you. We drank scotch with you and we watched The Young and the Restless and we 'dissed on people's manners and clothes . You taught us much about life and I am still the best speller I know because of you. I will miss trying to figure out what to get you for birthdays and Christmas and I will never look at word puzzles without thinking of you. You will be missed now by these daughters and their families, your grandchildren,  but it was only fair. Ian and Dad have been patient and they missed you too. Until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment