Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cicadas!


The cicadas are back. Yesterday I noticed the constant thrumming noise on the edge of my mind and today, at dawn, sat down on patio and went, Wow, they're back'!! Sounds like the World Cup action all over again, just like those vuvuzuelas or whatever they were called. I wondered if the rise and fall in crescendo or intensity correlates to heat or humidity levels, because it definitely has a unique swirling rhythm. My resident falcon flew by, screeching good morning just now. I haven't seen him in a while. I am off to Canada to see my mom and then swinging back via Saratoga Springs to catch the yearling sales. Lots of mileage but am stopping after 4 or 5 hours of driving every day, just can't do marathon road hauls anymore. I'll rephrase that, don't want to do it- now, I want to enjoy the travelling as much as the destination so, I stop at funny places. One summer , my youngest son and I passed "Grave Digger" on the way to beach. Without asking him, because I knew he was game, I u-turned and said, " we're going to go ride "Grave Digger!". For the uninitiated , that is one huge monster truck , sits about 100 feet off the ground. It was so cool, they were giving rides for about $10 . We strapped in and jumped a school bus after doing wheelies in the dirt. Then my seventeen year old had his picture taken with identical blonde bombshells who were selling red-neck GraveDigger hats. We still have the picture. Bill Bryson would have been proud of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment