Wednesday, July 21, 2010

the sky and the sea


I think I am becoming addicted to watching the sunrise. When I wake I actually spend a moment wondering if it will be a good one! And I hurry slightly to look out and check. As I sit this morning on my very simple patio and watch the "pastel gift wrapping" coming off the daybreak I am reminded of watching the sea on vacation. I miss taking the kids to the beach, that annual trek, that ritual of parenthood, of packing the car beyond reason, finding the ratty beach umbrellas and the beat up boogie boards. But I wanted the beach for the sunrises over the ocean! Everyday it was a different ocean, one morning still as a pool, the dolphin fins visible as the gently broke the surface, then the next it was angry , roiling waves. Surfers paradise. The range of the sea's moods was so wide, I could not stay in bed beyond the dawn, simply because I loved the moment of sunrise and I loved to watch the waves and the expanse of that silver sea change to pink and grey and blue as the mood emerged. That quiet moment with a cup of coffee strolling the beach became my vacation ritual. Now I sit on the farm, hot and humid, watching this dawn tell me the day's mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment