Wednesday, May 12, 2010

New Baby


My big grey mare foaled last night about 11PM. I did not want to miss this one, because it was her first and I didn't want her to be alone. Everything was fine, though she had seemed really anxious about 10:30 when I went out to be with her. Once I was there she seemed to calm down a little, just kept checking in with me- a nose nudge or a deep breath to the face - and continued pacing and having contractions. Nice to know that sometimes we do make a difference to their world, for the better. She was definitely reassured by my presence. Nice big bay colt with a big white blaze like his mama and four white socks. . You can definitely see them in the dark- two white blazes looming in the darkness (on the video screen). What was really funny was the nightlife in the barn after midnight. My two friendly ( manner of speaking-one is the cat that bit me) cats were there , then the tabby showed up who I had thought was dead and then the raccoon appeared. He sauntered up the aisle, not caring I was there, looking for the cat food. Well, the white cat said,"I don't think so!" and they had a Mexican stand-off that was hilarious to watch. A marauding raccoon and my nicest cat looked like gunslingers at the OK corral. I was amazed . Then the tabby gets acrobatic and is jumping on the rafters trying to catch the barn swallows. It was like a three ring circus, between the cat-coon fight , the swallows dive-bombing the ghost cat and the maiden mare having a baby!! I had no idea it was such a busy place in the dead of night. I waited 'til about 1AM, made sure the foal nursed and went to bed. Now I can relax with my daughter and not foal watch. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment