Sunday, March 28, 2010

Foal watching


Foal watching has taught me an interesting skill, sleeping with one eye open , staring at a video screen! I have memorized my mare's butt- every nuance of muscle , every twitch of her tail. I can tell by the angle of her ear if she is just sleeping or is about to strain in labor. Least I hope I can.
We are supposed to go into DC to see the cherry blossoms and The Terra Cotta Warriors at the Nat'l Geographic Museum today. The mare did not foal last night, seems to be eating quietly so I'm going to go. She can foal outside probably safer than the stall anyway. Can you imagine making 2000 life size warriors and then burying them! I just wonder what that Emporer's mindset was all about - was he going to conquer heaven or defeat the Devil. It would make a great movie. Al Pacino played the best devil, but Christopher Walken would also be awesome as The Bad One. Russell Crowe could play God. These are the strange musings that happen after foal watching too many nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment