Thursday, March 4, 2010

Early March walk in the woods


Today I walked in my woods. Bella, my Schnoodle came and the 6 month old Lab, Leo. Winter is loosening its hold, there is still snow , but there is more water and mud. I can almost hear the spring peepers. I know they are under the mud just waiting for a warmer day. It is supposed to hit high 50's this weekend and the cherry blossoms will be out in about 3 weeks. I walked my riding paths to pick up after the snows. To move downed trees and replace logs on my jumps in the woods. The puppies are tired tonight, they ran hard. Leo was reluctant to jump the big stream, which you can't actually jump, so he had to figure out a cold plunge. I finally just pulled him in after I tired of the pitiful whines on the bank. He got over it.
One of the casualties of the deep snow was the lowest, third "strip" of "tape" on my electric tape fence. I use a neighbour's field , who doesn't want permanent fencing, so I have used to great success white electric "tape". The snow just buried the bottom strip and the tape came away from all the holders. I walked the fence line and replaced all these little white "holders", jerking every time the electric current caught me! It was hard and my fingers were cold but it was satisfying to fix it myself. It was about 4:30 and the sun was just starting to go down and it was really lovely out. The fields have just a hint of what they will be in another month.
My mare is still holding on but it is not great. She is not improving on the antibiotics like I had hoped. The leg is still swollen and she so lame. I am heartbroken and wish it wasn't happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment