Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sunny December 1st


It is a beautiful, cold sunny morning. Still muddy, but the sun is welcoming. I would love to go riding this morning. Lily, my little TB mare was running around, doing laps in the field this morning. She just felt good, running for the love of it. This I understand , just running and jumping and galloping 'cause you feel good to be alive is the best! This is the best time of year to go foxhunting. Oh well,next year. I can go out and road whip with a friend starting this weekend I hope.

Leo, the puppy, is happy and funny. Getting the hang of potty training, he sometimes barely makes it to the door and doesn't make it off the front step. Now, you have to watch your step. Puppy land mines! I am not letting him go with the Gator to feed yet.

Yesterday, there was a red fox sitting on the hill by the mares run-in shed. He/she seemed very nonplussed by us feeding and only sauntered off when the two little dogs ( the Yorkie and grey Schnoodle) gave chase. Then he returned . I guess to see if we were still there. Bold. I hope it is not a rabid fox. You have to be careful when a wild animal starts to seem unafraid and comes toward you. We had to shoot a rabid groundog a couple of months ago because it was literally running at us and around our feet. Butch, the fellow who helps on the farm and I must have looked hysterical that day. We had not fired the shotgun in months , I forgot how to load it . It kept locking because we were not sure how to eject the shells and the whole time this rabid groundhog was running literally around our feet. I actually climbed the three rail fence to avoid it, the whole time yelling at Butch to put it out of its misery. His beagle was doing circles with it and I was sure the stupid groundhog was going to turn around and bite the beagle. Eventually we accounted for it and then drove far into the woods to drop the body. So, I hope this fox is healthy. Butch thought it might be a female looking to den in the run-in shed. I hope not- too close to my mares for me. Never a dull moment on the farm.




No comments:

Post a Comment