Friday, August 28, 2009

Thunderstorms

I was going to write about going to the track this morning to watch my two-year old work. I love going to the track and it was a lovely morning, the rain holding off. The filly worked an easy 37.00 three furloughs. So said, what was much more exciting was the thunderstorm I was just caught in , while feeding this afternoon.
I was trying to get up to Annapolis early, as I have a bridal shower on Sunday to shop for. So, I hurried up working the yearlings, cutting corners and baths and I rushed to get everyone fed early. The whole time I am watching the sky as it gets darker and darker. I load up the Gator and I'm standing in the shedrow debating the wisdom of going down to the back fields to the mares. The thunder is ominous but still a little way off. You see if I get everybody fed now, I can meet Mike, my husband for dinner and an evening out!! Joy.
So, I am motivated to chance the storm. Well, Bean, my Yorkshire terrier is also worried about the storm. He and Bella, our Schnoodle (Schnauzer/Poodle-awesome combination) hate thunderstorms . But he,Bean, is not about to face one alone in the barn so he hops on the Gator and we go. I get about 30 feet and there is the loudest crack and a huge lightning bolt by the front gate. I stop under a tree and go ,"oh sh__". The rain is starting but it is not so bad, so I think I can make it. Stupid me! Anyway I keep going ,throw the feed into the geldings buckets, who are smart enough to not leave their run-in shed. Hugging the fence and trees I continue down the hill to the weanlings . I have a little more sense and feed them in the run-in shed even tho' they're spooked and bumping into everything. Now, it is pouring buckets, we are both soaked and I wonder at the wisdom of this. I cross the bridge , which was just put back into place from the last storm, and head for the mares. Now the lightning is much closer and it is raining so hard I feel like I am swimming with clothes on. Bean is so scared he is whimpering and I am getting scared. I wait by the fence, standing under some big trees, trying to remember what Bear Grylls, the survivor guy said about lightning storms. Do you get under trees or not? Can't remember. I think I remember you are supposed to lie down. Well that would mean lying down in a raging stream as the water is racing down the hill to where we are, I don't want to get hit by lightning but I don't want to drown either. There is so much wind and rain and lightning that I am really worried. I am afraid to run back because I have to cross the stream and I think lightning likes water. I am under the trees, watching the wind just push the treetops around violently, hanging onto to my Yorkie, praying the storm keeps going away.
Thankfully, the thunder starts to sound further away from the lightning strikes and the rain lessens a little. I gulp, throw the feed into the mares buckets, dumping two inches of rain out first. Then I turn the gator around and dash for the barn. Bella greets us, dancing excitedly like it was all great fun. I am just thankful I didn't get hit by lightning and I realize what a stupid thing I had done.
Now I am on my way to Sam's, to buy food for Sunday and I guess I'll write about the track later.

No comments:

Post a Comment