Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Girlfriends


It is that wonderful time of morning when the color is just entering the world. The trees are turning from black to the richest greens, even Maryland is lush this time of morning. I feel I can sit quietly and simply breathe in the sounds; the cricket hum, the rough caw of a raven, the softest tweets of some unidentified bird, the huffings of the horses ( I might have made up that word). It is a wondrous world for this moment .
Last night I told my book club girlfriends ( we are women friends of various ages-but girlfriends has the meaning I want) that I was writing a blog. Originally to let my daughter in California know what was going on at the farm, now this blog has become a lovely way for me to pause in my day and (usually) be thankful for my life. Which brings me to girlfriends. I am very grateful for my girlfriends. They asked if I would write about them and I said," Oh no, I wouldn't mention any one, that is someone else's life." But, this morning I realized that they are a special part of my life and what a nice way to let them all know that they are important to me. Even when we disagree, even when we argue over what books to read or what is the best way to do anything, even when we air our little hurts or disparage one another slightly it is done with love and respect. My girlfriends bring a wider world to me. Their viewpoints are different than mine, Thank God, or I would never open my eyes to new things. They keep me in check and remind me that sometimes I'm wrong! It is always easier to hear that from them than my husband (fancy that). They let me know that after my car accident they were worried about me, we worry together for friends that are having tough times, we wonder together how we can help. This started as a "horsey" book club because we all ride horses. Some of us foxhunt together, some of us race horses, or do dressage. Horses are in all our lives, so when one of our friends breaks a leg or has a fall we all offer to feed or muck , way before we offer to ook. And we all think that is a good thing! So, I'm thankful for my girlfriends , they enrich me.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so thankful for your bookclub too!! tell them i said thanks for supporting you :)
    and you're such a good writer!!! love it <3

    ReplyDelete