Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beginnings

This is a window into life on a small Thoroughbred horse farm in Maryland, USA. There are about twenty horses on the farm, give or take, depending on who is racing, having a baby, or (part of life) dying. The six broodmares are all pregnant this year, two yearlings are prepping for the fall sales, two weanlings are dealing with leaving Mother, the older babysitters are already bored. The retired racehorses are chilling in the back, the teaser ( Lestat, by name, who tells me when the mares are interested) is reliving the spring season! The foxhunters are getting antsy in the cool mornings, waiting for the beginning of cubbing (early morning foxhunting). Strike A Blow Lass (Chessie for short) is at Laurel Racetrack about to make her two-year old debut.

I have just come back from the Saratoga Sales, where the most magnificent horses go thru the sales ring, in front of the rich and famous. I saw Rachel Alexandra, Mine That Bird, and Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum- literally I bumped into him. My husband had told me if I saw him to say -"Asalam Mal'akim" (peace be upon you). But, in the moment I forgot it all and was afraid I would insult his goats- so I just faked a phone call and took his picture. It was awesome and I returned knowing I had a lot more grooming and "rubbing " to do on my yearlings to make them magnificent.

Today, is my birthday and I survived a nasty car accident on Friday and my daughter is visiting, helping me start this blog. So, with this encouragement I am going to tell people about life on the farm!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! Happy Birthday and I loved reading about the farm which I know is tucked away nicely in a lovely little corner of land just down the road from Annapolis. Hello to Sarah, and I'll enjoy following the life of horses on your blog.
    Sally Reuther

    ReplyDelete