Friday, July 8, 2011

summertime, summertime

The dawn is very pretty in pink this morning. However, I was actually hoping for a grey dawn today because I want rain, buckets of it. The pastures are getting all crunchy again, the clover is drying up, turning brown and the horses are eating it all down too far. The little stream, barely a trickle now anyway,  may dry up which means I have to drop hoses from forever down to the broodmares. I am going to Kentucky to the Select Thoroughbred sale on Monday and had hoped for coolness and rain. Fat chance. We go down to look at the hot young sires ( I know that sounds remarkably obscene for two 50 yr olds) but before the next breeding season it is fun and educational to see what is selling well, what the offspring of  Big Brown and Into Mischief look like.  These are the big boys and the very expensive yearlings, but it is fun to hobnob with the rich and famous. As much as the horses and sires change fashion, so do the players in the horse racing world. There is the very old money, quiet and understated and there is always the monied nouveau riche who pay way too much for a horse someone else tells them is going to be the next Secretariat.  There are the ones who dislike each other and pay into ridiculous seven figures, solely so the other one doesn't get that horse! The auctioneers really like them! Anyway I was hoping to leave horses out but when the humidity and temperature get too high they really want to come into the barn and under the fans. Hard on the help!
I went skeet shooting yesterday, actually trap shooting as it was only one clay, and it was a blast! I found out I can shoot just as well with both eyes open. Apparently most people close one eye, usually the left  one, but it didn't matter as I believe I shut both eyes every time I pulled the trigger!. Couldn't bear to watch the clay die! Reaction I suppose to the sound. The very charming instructor  said I hit almost every target but suggested I try to keep my eyes open. Afterwards  I bought a very sexy Beretta shooting vest to match my girlfriend's, blue with pink trim. Isn't that hysterical, we want to look good to shoot those little orange beasts! Now, I am pretty in pink  and I have a shotgun . A lethal combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment