Monday, July 18, 2011

Mid-summer morn

It is mid -summer and going to be very hot this week. The cicadas are humming already and the heat is filling up all the space. I should be doing stalls already but am slow to get moving. Stung by something a couple of days ago , took a Benadryl last night , hoping the swelling in arm would diminish but all that diminished was my ability to bounce out of bed and start. I wanted to sleep in this morning which is very rare for me but must be the drug! Kentucky was also hot. I felt very sorry for those consigners and yearlings. They were very mannered or dog-tired from days of walking and showing. Very good -looking, but the sales have still not really rebounded. Maybe they never will. We bought a breeding right to Paddy O'Prado  who was gorgeous and we hope becomes a stellar stud!! The only way to make money now is with the "right" horse and black-type mares. My two-year old bucked her shins and is going easy for awhile. Hopefully will start at Laurel this fall.  The one great thing this summer and I probably shouldn't say it, is that we have had enough rain to keep the grass green thus far. The horses are fat and lazy and I am just starting to think about legging up for cubbing. Which I will just keep thinking about until next month!! Wedding plans are gearing up for Sam and Stephanie. Sam likes his new job, Steph is making awesome jewelry, Will is researching investments and juggling 2 homes and a girlfriend in Chicago. I skyped with Sarah last night and marvelled at the technology that lets us do that. I actually remember musing about  a hand held device that would let you see the person you were talking to many years ago when the first cumbersome mobile phones came out. Remember those big boxy phones that we thought were so cool. I still want my Star Trek communicator tho'.

No comments:

Post a Comment