Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hopeful


My mare is still alive. It has been a roller-coaster and the hardest part is not really knowing what is wrong. We were pretty sure it was cancer because of the chronic loss of weight and condition while eating and everything else seeming normal, but she has rallied after being as close to death as I have ever seen, since we tried the stronger antibiotic. I have never seen an infection cause this condition without obvious high fever etc but everyday I am hopeful she is still standing and when I go out to barn the last two days , she is relaxed and eating. Still extremely thin but nickering to the boys beside her. In fact, I think she is in season and teasing them. She actually busted two fence rails ( or the boys did) and went into the boys paddock. She had to deal with my big warmblood, who is the biggest bully around, so that was amazing.
I am about to go out this morning and I am hopeful she is still rallying. I did not give her "Bute" last night. So we shall see if the antibiotic is still helping.
More snow is threatening, high winds are coming, the paddocks are full of mud if not still covered in snow and all I really want is SPRING. I want healthy foals , and healed horse and some sunshine! I need to go to Roanoke to watch my son's basketball tournament, but I have a foal coming, and two yearlings that are difficult (playful) for others to lead and my mare is ill- so do I go or not? It will depend on the storm and how much melts . If I can put the mares back out in the big paddocks I may try to get to see the games! Think SUN, think WARM.
,

No comments:

Post a Comment