Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday afternoon


The Redskins just got beat by the Detroit Lions, ending that team's 19 game losing streak. As sorry as I am for my teams loss I am happy for Detroit. They must be so happy to finally win and end an dubious honor. It reminds me of my trainer's clients who celebrate when any of us win- we are just happy to have one of us in the winner's circle. The other teams football players must be happy for their fellow football gladiators to finally get into the "pigskin" winner's circle after so long.

It rained 3 1/2 inches last night , so hunting was a little slick. Even tho' I was being very careful, the footing over a bridge ( a big pipe in a culvert) gave way right under my chestnut gelding's hooves just as we were crossing the mid-point. He gave a big lurch and kept going. Thank goodness, it could have been very bad. The same gelding, Red, has only whipped twice now. I was wondering what would happen when I had to shoot off of him. Today I found out as the young entry were very bad and chased a doe , taking all with them. The hounds will try to sneak in a deer chase at the beginning of the season just to try- even tho' the older hounds know not to do it. Sometimes they just get carried away. Well , Red and I were in the right spot and gave them a big correction. I must have got off 5 or 6 shots ( rat shot) right in front of them. They stopped cold and quickly went back to huntsman. Good lesson for the pups at the beginning of the season. They will listen better next time.

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you're alright. give Red a big pat for me for takin' care of ya :).

    ReplyDelete