Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yearling Prep


The yearling sales are only a couple of weeks away and I am so ready to stop lungeing and walking yearlings. I have two colts going to Fasig-Tipton , they look good and I am happy to see them graduate. I would love to keep them all but can't do that. We finished x-rays and scopes this morning and fingers crossed everyone is fine. The whole business of x-rays and scoping of these young horses is so crazy and expensive. The Keeneland sales just get more depressing every time I open the Bloodhorse e-mail. The Thoroughbred breeding business is getting harder and harder to make a living at, unless you are a wealthy Sheik or own a California winery.
I love my horses and what I do but am afraid these small horse farms and small Thoroughbred breeders like myself are not going to be able to continue because the costs are so much greater than the profits now. We keep hoping for a Rachel Alexandra but it gets harder to hold onto to the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment