Friday, January 13, 2012

mid January

Mid - January and the weather is still surprising. Yesterday was 60 degrees and today is 30 and very windy. Beats 2 feet of snow any day!! Alaska is digging out of over 14 feet! of snow. My three year old filly is running for one mile for the first time today- ninth race at Laurel. She doesn't like the slop so bring on that wind, hopefully it will stop everybody else coming down the stretch! These are pretty cheap claimers , so fingers crossed or there will be one more Retired Racehorse!
Hunting has been really nice actually with this warmer weather in Jan. It was an Irish hunt on Wednesday as it sprinkled all day. Scenting was great because hounds ran the whole time in really big circles. At one point, after galloping for a solid 40 min in a huge circle trying to stay with hounds , I realized if I had just stayed put when I was "lost" deep in the woods, I would have been at the epicenter and spared my poor hunter all that galloping. Oh well!  He is very fit now! We finally picked up hounds about 5 hours later. When back at trailers I discovered I had locked keys in truck!. Happily for me , my AAA membership paid off and he opened my truck about 45 min. later.  It was a guy out of DC I guess who was wide-eyed when I met him on road and said truck was way back in woods , down a lane  and there were 30 hounds and horses waiting. I think he thought we were very weird, but was too polite to say it!
Looking forward to a football weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment