Friday, April 15, 2011

is it really April 15th already?

They say ( the infamous "they") that all your wages to date have been just to pay Uncle Sam. From today on, it is more or less all yours, so enjoy the fruits of your labor and have a good time paying your bills!! I just spent about $6000 fertilizing, reseeding and dragging all my pastures. Some needed herbicide to kill the chickweed that was choking out the grass and then I have to no-till seed and rest for 6 months. It was not an expense in my plans, but without pasture I am even more screwed. In that dollar figure was another 200 bales of hay to feed while I am resting pasture. Please let it rain in May, when the new grass is coming up. My farm bureau guy says sometimes it is just like this. We had a drought last summer and the weeds had just gotten to bad to ignore.  I have immense sympathy for true farmers who deal with the vagaries of Mother Nature all the time. I would look at dry corn in the fields and say, "Oh , that's tough". Now I am looking at my pastures and saying, "Oh, that's bad".   But I am still enjoying my cherry trees in bloom and the greening of the trees. I love this time of year. Before flies, before stink bugs, before really hot days.

No comments:

Post a Comment