Wednesday, February 16, 2011

That groundhog did good!

It is a balmy 50 degrees and possibly going up to near 70 degrees on Friday. It is so nice. For people who don't live in a cold climate you can't really imagine how nice it is in February to be able to trail ride  a horse in just a light jacket and not be slipping on ice. It is heavenly. I rode all four hunters on Monday and Tuesday! Today we are hunting from Hawthorne Ridge and I am really happy. I missed Sunday because I was in Lexington at son's basketball game. The Blue Ridge mountains were gorgeous and I love driving across the gap towards Warrenton because without the leaves the mountain top views are lovely, you can  see further in the winter. The weanling, really yearlings now, are alone in their field now and gaining confidence by themselves.  They gallop across the hills and it is a sight . Each is a smaller version of adult selves, you can see the horse they will become and as I watch them run around,  I always wonder if they will be the ONE! In the horse breeding world it truly just takes a lucky break to have one horse become a graded stakes winner and then you can get really good prices for the rest of the siblings. I have not yet been that lucky but soon!!!  Baltimore Bob had a Beyer (a national ranking system) of 106 in his last start. This was terrific and he is the first stakes winner Carol and I  bred together 7 years ago. I hope a horse named Soldat wins the Derby, he is out of a Coronado's Quest mare and we have one of those, so watch and I hope he does well.

No comments:

Post a Comment