Wednesday, February 23, 2011

sunshine

Even after a last minute attempt by Mother Nature to remind us she is capricious and will let loose the snow and ice when she feels like it, the sunshine is back and it feels good. Late February and we are still able to hunt! I went out with Howard County-Iron Bridge and had a ball on Monday. I thought we had some rough country , well they have us beat. Fieldmaster of the day, Gary, led us through some of the trappiest, forested, boggiest stuff I have ever seen! At one point I said, "You guys must be trying to initiate me". It was my second hunt this season with them. They smiled and said "Not yet". OMG.  Polly, my fairly untested young hunter was awesome. They always ask if I want to ride with the whips, but I actually like riding in the field for a change, so they graciously motioned for me to follow behind the fieldmaster. At one point we came to a ditch with a steep drop-off, actually a bank -like mess. Polly was close behind and before she realized the steepness, something she had never done before, she was past the point of stopping and legs quivering, launched herself across. I was sure I was going ass over teakettle into the stream but amazingly stayed on. One guy in the field later said, "You must have legs of steel, that was impressive". Even I was impressed I stayed on. We put two fox to ground and had a great day actually. They were all beaming and saying, "Come back, come back". I have 5 hunts left so I hope I can squeeze them in. Yesterday I drove to Lynchburg to see my son's basketball game , the first round of their final tournament. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive and I barely made it for the start. They won and now go on to second round on Fri in Roanoke. William was so excited about win and I knew he wanted to celebrate with his team- eating at local famous wings place they love and then riding with the team back. I understand that kind of euphoria after several hard losses. I was so excited after cheering that I said - heck, I'll just drive back - less traffic. This is what moms do- drive 9 hours to see their son barely get in for a minute in the championship game that lasted 90 minutes! I love him. And it was worth it.  And  now I get to go hunting again so it was good to drive back late. I am waiting for the first sound of spring peepers, I know they are just around the proverbial corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment