Monday, June 28, 2010

heat wave


I just saw on the morning news that we have had 9 days in a row above 90 degrees. Several above 100 degrees. That is hot. Yesterday when we got to the yearling show, they casually mentioned that there was no electricity. Yikes. It was extremely warm and with no fans, the horses just stayed sweaty. Thank God for a little breeze outside, it made the walking ring at least bearable. Makes me wonder how everyone managed before AC. A friend said she was putting hay up yesterday!! Now that would have been hellish. Amanda - you win that toss-up! Speaking of hay, my pastures are burning up and I am already thinking of putting out round bales. It is not even July!!! So glad I bought hay already, it could be a bad year for the hay crop. My yearlings were not what the judge yesterday was looking for, but they showed well and I was happy with them. The winner was gorgeous. Some choices I didn't get , but that's the way with a beauty contest- it is very subjective to what the judge likes. I have 4 babies this year, so one more year anyway, then we'll see. I give the yearlings the month of July off before getting back to round pen work in August, so I get a little break. Thank you. I think I will look into writing that screenplay about a pirate movie- inside, in the AC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment