Friday, July 11, 2014

spooky Thoroughbreds are a pain.....

-->
I realized I only have to do my morning training 6 more times. WooHoo! Yesterday, Pia jumped across the tiny, muddy little creek with an enormous leap and dumped the unsuspecting me on my ass again! I thought that she might actually walk across this time, the hundredth time, but not a chance. There are, you know, monsters that only she can see! I landed flat on my back, wondering if I had burst my hydration pack, which luckily by then was almost empty. It probably cushioned my back a little. She kept going to the next field and stopped, but then just kept walking a little out of reach, just rubbing it in a little! I eventually remounted and continued galloping around. I love riding but I will be happy to stop galloping around, soon.
I am in the best shape I have ever been in, same weight but have lost 2-3 inches from all the important measurements. I am even happy to lose 2 inches from my bust, which makes me almost normal!  I even have a 6-pack, well the closest I will ever come to having a ripped abdomen. It is hard and I can keep standing in my stirrups for miles and miles of galloping. Having a goal has been the best trainer. I would never be riding in July, in the heat and humidity unless I was training for this race. After riding two horses around 6 miles each, I have to tell myself I need to keep going and do two more for the total 24 miles because I am about to ride 75 miles a day! It is a motivating thought. But I will be happy to stop.
I think riding these spooky Thoroughbred mares must be preparing me for semi-wild Mongolian ponies. They cannot be any worse. Every time they jump at a turkey, or a squirrel, a groundhog or the simplest dark shadow in the tree line I tighten my legs, give a kick and hope I hang on. Which I think is exactly what I will be doing in about 4 weeks half way around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment