Tuesday, July 15, 2014

photo of Mongolian sunrise....



It is too hot to ride with 90 degrees and high humidity, yet I have to keep training so rode three this morning. Sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I am starting to feel like, “enough , I’m done, no more…”. I know that I have gotten stronger and fitter because when I have had enough it is actually more mental than physical. My legs and thighs keep gripping and my upper body stays straight, so this is good. I do worry about concentrating for 75 miles a day though. When you’re tired, even bored, and don’t pay attention to every flick of the ear or toss of the head, or tensing of body before a spook, that is when you get into trouble. Most horses and ponies will let you know when something has frightened them and you can prepare but for 12 hours a day, in the saddle??? I don’t know. These are the little unknowns that you cannot really anticipate.
I have packed and repacked. All my energy snacks are putting me over my weight limit of eleven pounds. In fact, every chocolate granola bar and gummi chew that seemed appetizing in the outdoor store seems destined to not make it into my saddle bag but I am taking them with me anyway. I’ll eat them on the three days we have to prep I guess. There is a Facebook page called The Mongol Derby 2014 where lots of competitors are asking questions, and past participants are telling tales and offering advice.            
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
 This quote was on Amy Wallace Whelan’s website, a fellow Derbyist and close to my age.  She is an endurance “pro”, from Kentucky who has logged more than 10,000 miles in endurance competition! I think us “older” gals are full of the adventuring spirit and I am looking forward to meeting some of my fellow riders. I am going to start to post some of their pictures and short bios.

No comments:

Post a Comment