Thursday, June 26, 2014

Still prepping for the Derby

This is a picture from the start of last year's Derby. I love the breathtaking vastness of the steppe. A little intimidating to think I have to ride across that vastness but I still love the image. A benefit of logging all these miles in the saddle, beside the fitness, is that my horses are learning to relax and maintain an even rhythym for a long distance. A recommendation from their endurance trainer is to change your posting diagonal at the trot every 5 strides. Seemed extreme but it works. The horse relaxes and carries himself and I mentally count strides which makes me ride evenly for those strides. I remember Tad Coffin told me once to ride 8 strides at a time. No more. He said a horse can only concentrate for a limited time and if you hold your attention for 8 and then ride the next 8 and so on it becomes very smooth and encourages the horse to carry himself better. It works. I find that even my mare, Polly, who has a very high-strung attitude will relax and even out. I think the mental counting of strides must imitate a metrodome, that thing piano players use to each students. It teaches cadence. At the canter, I sit for 4 strides and stand for 4 and it achieves the same cadence. They can quietly canter long distances. I actually feel OK after 25 miles, my knee is fine and the hydration tips have helped in the heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment