Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 2 at Casanova Hunt

Tuesday was at Casanova and the best thing about Casanova is Tommy lee Jones. My husband asks me every year, " you mean, the actor?"  No, but this Tommy Lee is a great huntsman and a legend in his own time. Beloved for his Jack Russell races, he is like a character out of Jorrocks. A little rotund ( hope he doesn't read this) and very fun to watch. The staff all wear red polos and they were all mounted on greys- very polished looking. The day started very slowly, we walked for about 1hr 1/2, which was fine after Middleburg's mad dash. Ground was very wet  and flat, also nice after rocks and hills. Unfortunately, as soon as Tommy Lee and hounds found their fox, the fieldmaster couldn't keep up and we lost them! Bummer. But it was fun anyway, some jumps, some big ones and lots of nice people. It is so fun to meet fellow hunt fiends from other places and reconnect with friends that you only see at the Field Hunter Championship. Tailgate breakfast was lovely and the four who qualified truly had lovely horses.  I never get picked, probably because I ride OTT racehorses who want to run and my gag bridles are never perfectly clean!  But I have the most fun!
 Today I was home and Marlborough  hunted on the Eastern shore. After waiting for the rain and lightning to pass I thought I was going to be carried off by the mosquitos!! Lots of fox, sweaty horses and riders. 80 degrees is too hot to foxhunt I am convinced - can't wait for cold front to get here. I am skipping Blue Ridge on Thursday but am going to Piedmont on Friday, for the final Field Hunter Hunt  . Their fixture is lovely and my mare should be ready! Yippee. I did post the picture of the Scottish Highland cattle where I stayed Monday night . So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment