Monday, September 26, 2011

North American Field Hunter Championship

First day. We hunted with Middleburg this morning, met at 7:30Am at Glenwood. Started slowly, the judges checking out how quietly the horses stood and if boots were polished etc.  Then once hounds struck we just ran up and down hills for about an hour and a half. My poor mare, Polly, was exhausted. Not quite fit enough, high humidity and lots of hills took a toll. I think most of the entries all dropped back to Jeff Blue's hilltoppers! after our first check. I chose to go in with the judges after two hours but enjoyed the run immensely. Not too many fences, but they were inviting walls and couple coops. Polly was great and she stood quietly. I must admit I rarely get "picked" because I do not ever have perfect tack or a horse that uses a snaffle and never twitches! but I have the most fun. Tomorrow is Casanova with Tommy Lee Jones,a charming Southern gentleman. Tonight I am staying at a horsey "bed, breakfast and stable" in Flint Hill, Virginia. Very convenient and a most gracious host, a fieldmaster with Old Dominion Hounds. The horse is tucked in and I am going to cheer on the Redskins for about an hour then goodnight. Forgot my phone charger, so can't upload pictures of the Scottish Highland cows at this farm. Impressive horns, but this is photo of Polly.

No comments:

Post a Comment