Wednesday, May 4, 2011

very sad day

A friend of mine buried his son today. This young man was the same age as my oldest, in fact we car-pooled for a while in middle school years. I cannot imagine how difficult and sad a day this is for him and the family. We love our children unconditionally and yet there are times when love is not enough. This son had his own demons and addictions that in the end took him away from all the people that loved him.  And left them with guilt and sorrow and questions. It is so sad. The only comfort I could offer is that he is no longer fighting a demon that lies and steals your soul and, that now, he is at peace and hopefully with his grandpa. The family pictures showed a young man, smiling, teasing, serving his country in the armed forces, handsome and laughing. This is the memory that I have and I hope that is the one that his parents have to comfort them. We have all known each other for so long and we truly hurt and ache when tragedy happens to any of us. I came home wanting to hug my own son. But he was busy and rushing off to work, didn't want to hug Mom. Oh well, we love unconditionally and hope and pray our children are safe. I called the other ones and listened to busy lives and felt connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment