Sunday, May 15, 2011

after the rain

It rained buckets and buckets yesterday and this morning it is beautifully green and damp. The rail fencing is dark chocolate brown against the kelly green pastures. Lush. That is the word for this carpet this morning. Enough rain to soak the seed and really drench the new grass. The mist is rising to the treetops, the blue sky is now visible high above and the birds are welcoming me. Yesterday was my daughter's 24th birthday and I miss her. I think it may be the first birthday that there was no effort on my end to bring her home or go out to LA. She is grown and married and I guess subconsciously I knew she now belongs in LA with her new traditions and birthdays.  Kinda sad for me. Tomorrow is my youngest son's 21st birthday. He is also far afield, visiting his lady love in Colorado. Though he will return tonight to celebrate briefly with us for a dinner. I was going through old photographs yesterday and sorting when I realized, while holding a tourist memento of the twin World Trade Towers, that 10 years ago we had taken this same son to New York City for his 11th birthday. We have a picture of Mom, Dad and son on top of one of the Towers where you had a panoramic view of Manhattan.  We still have the ticket stubs- May 16th, 2001. So strange to think  it is gone.
The horses are moving slowly up towards the barn, walking with their heads buried in wet grass but being pulled towards their morning feed and the lure of fresh sawdust to sleep in after a rainy night. It is so peaceful. Life goes on, no matter what.  Even Bin Laden's death was but a blip in the  rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment