Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Beginnings


It is a cold beginning to 2010. Everything is frozen, I worry about the horses drinking enough. I have heaters in the troughs but the broodmares are very suspicious of the coil and refuse to drink unless I remove the heat coil. So they wait for morning and I take it out for awhile. The ground is hard on the feet too, they all look they have foundered as they stagger around avoiding the bumps and divots from frozen mud. It just is really difficult. I worry about the weanlings being cold. Everyone is out 24/7 and my friend, Carol, just reminded me of a weanling that we saw that had frostbitten ears. Hunting is cancelled because it is too dangerous. This is the worst footing. A little thaw on top of frozen mud is called "goose grease" and it is guaranteed to take a horse down if they hit it at any speed- so I am relieved that I am not whipping , even tho' I am eager to be back in the saddle.
I am still worried about the economy and what to do with all these mares and soon -to-come babies. I love my horses but the costs are getting too high. My friend is selling all her racehorse fillies in Keeneland this month and I think we are all re-evaluating the situation in Maryland. It was so disappointing that the slots did not go to Laurel.
On a happier note, the puppy,Leo, is so cute. He is still sort of bumbling and goofy, but you can see the adult dog in there and he is going to be very handsome. I think I will start to think of the winter as being about 1/2 over and March will be here soon! Stay warm

1 comment:

  1. Still bitterly cold here, hope your horses are managing and you're staying warm. Puppy's adorable! Hope to see you soon. Watching as it stays lighter, a littler later each evening as I leave work...a good sign. love to you. Robin

    ReplyDelete