Wednesday, October 7, 2009

post yearling sale


Well, the yearling sale is over and we all move on to next year. It is a very discouraging Thoroughbred market right now, no easy way out. I managed to sell my three, 2 colts and a filly. Only one was a little profitable. Gone are the days of 3x the stud fee. I would say most people did not recoup their stud fees, I did not. And breeding in Maryland to Maryland sires is just dead in the water. And now, after saying all this, my partner and friend Carol, sold the sales topper filly for over $180,00- so, you never know which horse is going to save your butt. Her sale gave us all hope and a bright ending to the sale.
Now I'm home and looking at the two weanlings in the back paddock, wondering what the future holds. Some say slots will help , some say it is too late. I know I am reducing the herd and breeding more selectively.
On a happier note, the weather is beautiful and foxhunting is a good for my soul. Being on a horse early in the morning, listening to hounds and watching the young entry learn and thrill to the chase is what makes my day. Heck, it makes my life!

1 comment:

  1. congrats on the sales!! it sounds tough but its good to hear all that work yielded a return for you. On to foxhunting!! :)

    ReplyDelete