Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Mongol Derby: Only 9 weeks away!!!

-->

I sent 2 wire transfers today. The first was to Bodi Insurance, a Mongolian insurance company, to insure me on this adventure. They will pay for the emergency medical extraction and related expenses if required, that is, if I come a cropper somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Michael, my wonderful husband, who actually knows about these things (the sort of  “I will have to kill you if I tell you what things”) says that he can find me if he had to, as long as I take my cell phone. I do not have to turn it on, just have it stowed somewhere!  That is actually very reassuring in an odd way. 

Apparently Lloyd’s of London quit insuring the Mongol Derby because of too many claims! At least that is what The Adventurist head office laughingly stated.  Not really funny, I thought. The second wire transfer went to Cool Earth, which is the charity The Adventurists support. Part of the entry requirement for The Derby is to raise 500 English Pounds for this charity. I want to thank all my wonderful friends who have generously helped me in this crazy endeavor and donated. I was able to send the full amount and feel good about helping to save a small piece of rain forest.

 The deer flies are just starting and the young mare I rode this afternoon was not very happy with them so we kept a brisk pace to avoid a buck. Between riding an hour or so, several days a week and working with the yearlings, I hope I am getting fit enough. I spoke with a writer today, who is doing a story on foxhunters doing the Mongol Derby, for Covertside magazine. She asked me what I was most excited about and I said, “Being able to do this; I am excited about being physically fit enough to do a race like this and to experience Mongolia, which seems incredibly exotic and beautiful.” Then she asked me what I was most afraid of and I laughed and said, “Not being able to do this; not being fit enough to race 600 miles across Mongolia!”

No comments:

Post a Comment