Sunday, June 15, 2014

new training regime....

Well we did not do the 50-mile ride, so onto new and better things! My new training regime is to ride 3-5 horses every morning, galloping them each 6 miles. I have a route around the neighboring farms and mine, that is about 6 miles and the best part of all is that they do not spook so much because it is the same path almost every time. Horses love their routines and I love not being almost dumped every time a deer jumps out. Thoroughbreds are wonderful but most of them have that little spook in them. I save Michael's Quarter Horse, Bob, for last because he is a solid trooper, just canters and trots around with no fuss. By then I am a little tired. But with this training routine I can get in my "galloping 25 miles" without stressing any one horse. I am lucky that I have several horses with which to train, and I will definitely have the fittest horses around, not to mention me!
I practice drinking the whole time from my hydration pack with electrolytes and have found that it really does help. I do not get a heat stroke headache if I drink the full 2 liters for every 25 miles. So, we are getting there. Still working on the packing though! Happy Father's Day to my Dad in heaven ( yes, I was a little cowgirl), and to my husband, Mike  who has always been there for my kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment