Friday, May 23, 2014

Springime babies

On my early morning ride yesterday I came up on a
doe that had just delivered a set of twin fawns. She jumped up and bolted off. I felt so bad and hope she came back for them. Not that I need anymore deer around here but they were so beautiful and so brand new! A little later in a back field I saw another fox and family of kits playing near the edge of the woods. The fox kits ran away immediately but the vixen watched me for a awhile. So lovely in the early morning to see the natural wildlife just doing their thing. We scared up a couple of turkeys but thankfully Red doesn't spook with them very often.
It is warm enough to sit out on the patio now and enjoy my morning coffee. I asked Lynne , the competitor from last year, if there was coffee available in the mornings in Mongolia and she said NO!. I was horrified and the prospect of 10 days without coffee was the worst news I had heard about the Derby. She suggested Trader Joe's had these little pre-measured packets, coffee, cream and sugar, to which you just add hot water. I found them the next day and they are definitely going in my 10 lbs of gear! Mornings without coffee are awful. All my gear is now upstairs, strewn on the guest bed. I keep riding with the GPS to track my miles but I need to start putting in "Waystations" and learning to navigate to them. I hope YouTube has a tutorial! On the Mongol Derby site they are putting up rider profiles and I am starting to feel seriously outclassed. Some of these participants are real adrenalin junkies, world-class adventurists! I am getting excited though.

No comments:

Post a Comment