Thursday, January 9, 2014

dealing with the cold....

I can write about the cold snap now because it has broken! and it is now about 27 degrees!! The past few days were brutal. I am from Canada, have lived in Valdez, Alaska, but Maryland at -10 degrees is the worst! My face actually hurt walking to and from the barn. All the horses were brought in, doubled up in some stalls and the barn shut as tight as possible. I have never done that before in 30 years in Maryland unless it was a blizzard, which is as rare as the cold of the past few days. Thank God all the horses behaved, only one casualty. One mare kicked a back board, putting her foot through the board! At least she didn't kick her stall buddy. I think they appreciated the barn that night. Mucking out nine stalls, with doubled up horses was a bitch tho'!  One way to stay fit. I think I should offer fitness opportunities for free, " Come for natural fitness!!"  Only the other peeps trying to empty frozen water buckets, throwing hay bales and mucking will understand that.
The snow is gone now, but the ground is still frozen. No hunting until there is a little thawing. My upcoming trip to Belle Meade Hunt in Georgia can't come soon enough. And I have accepted an invitation to go hunting in the Santa Barbara area of California. A joint meet with SantaYnez Hounds, Los Altos Hounds and Red Rock Hounds from Reno, Nevada with members of 6 other California hunt members invited. This should be epic and this Eastern foxhunter is going west to join them. I am meeting foxhunting friends who moved to Long Beach and San Diego last year and this should be interesting. I have never hunted in California before but I hear the country is beautiful. Santa Ynez say they hunt coyote, boar and hare!!! Must be those giant jackrabbits with antlers!!! Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment