Monday, January 27, 2014

Our "Downton Abbey" dinner ...going south.

My friend Isabel hosted a wonderful "Downton Abbey" dinner party with a very traditional 5 course British menu from poached salmon to Beef Wellington with Paula's delicious bread pudding to top it off!! Yum! and I must say, our gentleman looked pretty yummy too!. Dashing and debonair in their tuxes one and all. It was a really fun evening and Christy even found her grandmother's designer dresses from 1910. Wearing one beautiful gown, she displayed the other for us to see. They are all period museum quality, so it was fun to see what they actually wore. Christy kept saying there were no zippers then, so she was reluctant to sit for fear the fragile material might tear as it was form fitting!!
I left the next morning for my hunting vacation in Georgia. After getting stuck on some ice in my own driveway at 6am, after my wonderful husband trudged 1/2 mile down the drive, in the dark, to hold two confused horses that I had to unload, I managed to get on the road. After a 10 hr drive I was so happy to unload in Georgia, taking off down jackets, sweaters, and horse blankets, to enjoy some 50 degree weather.  Great to see my Belle Meade friends, though this morning they may be accusing these Marylanders of bringing the snow south!! It is supposed to snow here tomorrow, with freezing rain! Hopefully it will be short-lived. Our hosts may be upset but 1" of snow and 20 degrees is a piece of cake after the polar freezes in Maryland.  I am off this morning to ride in a T-shirt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment