Saturday, January 25, 2014

January sunrise over snow

When I can get past the cold it is really beautiful in the woods with the snow. I rode yesterday and it was lovely and quiet. I love checking out all the animal tracks and listening to the silence of the snow covered landscape. It has been cold for so many days that 15 degrees felt like riding weather! Walking to and from the barn in the early dawn reminds me that one of the sounds of winter is the crunch of snow. I walked down the hill fence line to check if the 'Gator could get through yet (it couldn't) and thought how perfect was the unmarked snow. The brushstrokes of a wingtip and a few tiny prints mark where an owl perhaps touched down when hunting. The fox leave a straight line of tracks with the occasionally hole where they pounced. There are many, many deer in the woods. And the beaver "lake" was frozen over. The horses are managing, double blanketed, with heaters in the troughs. So when it is 95 degrees this summer I will remember this cold and shiver once, in the heat!
 Here is another picture of my beautiful daughter who has landed her first commercial! A regional ad spot in California for a big chain store. Something about Twinkies and a jingle- but so exciting for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment