Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day weekend

It is a beautiful day, the Saturday morning of Father's Day weekend in June. Clear, dry and blue, blue skies, no clouds. Thinking of my Dad, I wanted to find an old photograph of he and I walking at the Calgary Stampede, hand in hand. I think I was about 8, proud to be there in my "squaw" dress - so politically incorrect to call it that now. I think it was a type of dress with a ruffle at the bottom and smocking at the neck that the women on the reservations near Calgary wore. So, for the Stampede week in July it was the costume for all the girls in various colors! Dad had his Stetson on, the required costume for all the guys! A friend from Maryland recently told me his son was going to be working in Calgary, in the oil industry. I should tell him where to get a Stetson for his son- he will need one! I still remember the parade and walking with Dad; he seemed so tall and handsome. All I wanted was to see the horses and the cowboys. The beginning of my lifelong love affair with all things to do with horses. Happy Father's Day Dad. I miss you and hope you are somewhere still watching me ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment