Monday, April 1, 2013

the ups and downs of life....

April 1st. March went out with a chilly wind. Yesterday was a very bad day for my friend Carol, my partner in the horse business. We had decided to spend Easter Dinner together as we were both alone at our separate farms. As we planned to uncork a bottle of wine and just hang out, we went to look at her two week old foal. Unfortunately, this was the beginning of the bad. The foal had snapped his front leg off- literally- above the ankle. Horrific and hard to look at. There was nothing to do but call the vet for humane euthanasia, the mare had already started to pull away- she knew. We couldn't even figure out how it happened. Sadly we went in to drink in company, glad that I had been there, by chance, to support her. This morning the bad continued when she called to say the next foal, that  she had been waiting two weeks for,  was stillborn. I was so sad for her, there is such bleakness with these kind of things. Again, no idea why- it just happens. We are going to go out and continue drinking tonight. What else do you do. That was the down. And Mike is still away.
The up is it is April and slowly a little warmer. Two years ago Sarah was about to get married. Her two-year anniversary is tomorrow. Two years ago we were all in Santa Barbara, on top of a mountain, watching a sunset surrounded by family and new beginnings. Speaking of new beginnings, my friend Isabel just sent me the picture of her brand-new and first grandchild whose name, I believe, is going to be GW Kurek after Jerry. He was born last night.
The spring peepers are loud at night finally, the daffodils are blooming, the forsythia is trying to get going and the thermometer hit 60!
I had a lovely Easter Brunch with Sam, Steph and Mike's mom. Sam is a great cook! Mike is coming home soon and that will also be wonderful. I hope it keeps warming up- I need some sun. I wish my family and friends a blessed Easter Monday and always the new day dawns brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment