Tuesday, March 20, 2012

waiting and watching...

Baby no.1 is frisky and fast and happy to be alive and running around. I am waiting and watching for No.2 and 3.  Mare No.2, whose name is Regretable Romance  has been getting close for days. Her due date is actually today and I am presently watching her pace slowly in big circles around her stall. She is probably regretting her brief romantic encounter with a horse named Petionville about now. She keeps backing into her feed tub and trying to sit on it! They do this when it is starting to hurt. She is a maiden, her first foal and sometimes they act a little," What the hell is happening to me?....stall walking, sitting on feed buckets, rolling , getting up and down endlessly, chewing my fence. Little things that show they are uncomfortable. Well, it is starting to rumble thunder distantly and she keeps walking. Do I let her out to walk, chancing a baby in the rain or keep her in?  The weatherman just said rain was moving off so I guess I will get up and get going on feeding and letting them out to pasture. Th baby runs around for a good five solid minutes in big circles around mom before stopping to smell the grass. I just appreciate he holds it in long enough for me to get him to the paddock. It is kind of like cradling a giant, squirmy two-year old who is about to bash you in the head at any moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment