Wednesday, March 28, 2012

still waiting on the mare maternity ward!

Waiting is the hardest part. One mare is over a week late and the big grey is due on Saturday. They are both restless, and very big but once tucked into the warm straw beds, they sigh, cock a hip and do not deliver their bundle of joy! I am running on interrupted sleep. I was afraid Michael wouldn't be able to sleep at night with the ambient light from the video screen but it doesn't seem to keep either one of us awake anymore. I just roll over, keep one eye open and keep watching. Watching horses' butts and switching tails! Sometimes the shadows make grotesque monsters in the straw but it has been very quiet. Hard to watch two pregnant mares when I only have one camera stall. It means I have to go out at midnight  and make a judgement call. Right now the maiden mare who is overdue still rates the camera but that could change.The first baby is doing well and actually leading not too badly. Hasn't kicked me yet, this is a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment