Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer solstice

This picture is a sunset several nights ago, so beautiful.  Appropriate for today, I thought, because it  is summer solstice, the longest day of the year. Maybe will do a movie with a friend, though I might prefer martinis with the hubby and stay out on patio  to watch a sun set about 9:30??? or so.  Might just finally make the s'mores that are in the cupboard. I am very busy working the yearlings for the MD yearling show this Sunday. I won it a couple of years ago and it was very gratifying to actually get a ribbon! for all the hard work. It is lonely, unacknowledged work with babies most of the time. You sell them as yearlings and hope they go on to race well, but nobody really notices the long hours put into mare and foal care.  A client of mine was asked why he had bought racehorses and broodmares and he told me he answered that he loved watching them in the field and it was a stress- reliever. I think that is true for all of us. We love them and love watching them. I know I love the unspoken communication and I take it for granted most of the time  because it is what I do. It is only when I am around other people who do not speak "horse" that I realize it is a language made of of inflection and postures and the tilt of an ear or the glance of a warm, liquid eye. It is "spoken" by the wrinkle of a soft nose or the warm breath snorted gently at my face. I love to watch the boss mare warn the newcomer of the rules or the bitchy mare just be bitchy because....  I have seen foals play "hide and seek" with each other and I currently have a yearling that loves his soccer ball! He kicks it, throws it and just plain enjoys it.  But it is time to feed this afternoon, so, I hope you all enjoy this long evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment