Monday, June 27, 2011

post yearling show

The yearling show was yesterday, long day. A friend brought her groom who saved my life, my feet anyway. He was kind enough to walk ll three yearlings and as this judge was a slow one, it would have killed me to be standing in the sun with rank babies. Thank you Alex, thank you. We made the first cut with two of the yearlings but this year my entries were not the judges' "type". He was looking for perfect "sales" yearlings and bumpy knees and on the small side kept me out of the ribbons. Oh well, it makes me realize how lucky I was the year I won the championship with Chessie. It is a big accomplishment to win and losing makes you cherish the win even more. It is always interesting to see which new sires have the winners. Corinthian was the sire of this year's champion. Scipion and Cherokee's Boy had good looking individuals as did Latent Heat. It helps in future breeding decisions to really spend the day looking at the next generation's yearlings.  But there are fewer and fewer Maryland sires worth looking at. Sad for the future I am afraid. This morning has dawned grey and overcast which I am thankful for, as I have a whole barn to clean and sort out this morning as nothing got done yesterday. The horses can all stay out for a while! Now I can look forward to next project , which  will hopefully be completing the Hunt Club calendar and book about our 75th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment