Thursday, June 9, 2011

June hot

The fireball has topped the trees and it is going to be a hot one. Was supposed to replace patio doors today, all three large glass ones, but I postponed it when I realized it was going to be a record breaking hot day. Did not want to try to air-condition the whole back yard!  Hopefully it is cooler next week. Going to do stalls and only work one yearling today. Polly has an abscess and it out for awhile, so horses can chill too. Mares try to stay cool down by stream, under the trees but they are still dripping with sweat by mid afternoon. Tho' it is still cooler out with little breeze than all in barn. I am glad that I don't have babies this year, it is so hard to keep babies with furry coats cool in these temperatures. Thankfully next year they should all be foaled by late April. When the blacksmith was paring Polly's hoof , looking for cause of lameness, we were both peering down and I said , " It's so nice when something just pops and the pus comes right out, then you at least know what it was!" No sooner had I said it that his knife released a stream of black, tarry, yucky something. Not exactly what I was mentioning when I said pus but at least it is probably the cause of her lameness. It looks really old and gross so, hopefully,  soaking and drawing with icthyamol and wrapping will do the job. She is still off but not as bad so fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment