Monday, November 2, 2009

November means Basketball!


I was at my son Will's Parents Weekend at college this past weekend. It was wonderful to see him and to watch him play basketball again. I think watching any athlete, any sport , whether it is basketball players or racehorses is inspiring. I know from my son what an immense commitment of time and energy this sport has required. He has been happy to dedicate his teenage years to learning this sport and his coaches have all been impressed with the focus and determination that he has shown. It is this "heart" that you can't make somebody or some racehorse have- they either are born with the desire to be first or not. One can learn essential skills and train the body to be a perfectly functioning machine , but the quintessential spark that lifts the normal "good" athlete to be an extraordinary performer is "heart".
When we watched "Mine That Bird" win the Derby after that phenomenal run up the rail, we all remarked about the little horse's heart and determination. We all loved the Seabiscuit story and remember the movie Rudy, about the Notre Dame football player who only played once but his heart inspired his whole team. Brett Favre has earned our respect and love because he just won't quit. Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra have taken our breath away this year with extraordinary talent and heart. You go, Girls!
And to my son, you go dude. You are an inspiration and I am very proud to know you.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i definitly tell all my friends how much will inspires me :)

    ReplyDelete